Poole Housing Partnership Ltd
Emergency out of hours helpline 0800 50 60 50
RSS Feed A-Z of Services

Other Benefit Information

Other benefit information for web.jpg


Understanding Non-Dependant Deductions  

Any adult family member or friend (non-dependant)who resides with you, can affect the entitlement you have to Housing Benefit or the Housing Element if you are claiming Universal Credit or Council Tax Support. 

It is believed that because they are adults, they are able to contribute towards the rent. As a result, a deduction will be made from your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Element entitlement, whether the non-dependant is contributing or not.

For those claiming Housing Benefit, the amount deducted will depend on the weekly income of the non-dependant. For those claiming Universal Credit, the amount of non-dependant deduction if fixed at £75.15 per month.

Adults that are not classed as non-dependants, include:

  • Your Partner

  • A lodger

  • A person staying with you, but has a main home elsewhere

There are several circumstances when you may be exempt from paying a non-dependant deduction. These include when

  • You or your partner are in receipt of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Attendance Allowance (AA). Also if you or your partner are in receipt of Armed Forces Independence Payment, or registered blind you will also be exempt.

  • The non-dependant is under 25 and is in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) during the assessment phase, or Universal Credit with no additional earned income. Also if the non-dependant is receiving Pension Credit, or in the Armed Forces and away on operations, you will also be exempt.

For further information, including current non-dependant deduction rates and full list of exemptions, please click here

Understanding Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP'S)

Discretionary housing payments are a possible 'short term' solution if you are struggling with your finances, especially in regards to your housing circumstances. This includes if you are trying to find more suitable accommodation to fit your household needs, like downsizing.

There is a specific criteria in order to apply for a DHP. To find out more, as well as further important information about this payment, please click here.

Contact Us

Contact icon
Your Money Team
Phone icon
01202 264400
Go to...