Poole Housing Partnership Ltd
Emergency out of hours helpline 0800 50 60 50
RSS Feed A-Z of Services

Home contents insurance

Is my home insured?

My Contents insurance house pic.jpg

Many people believe that they cannot afford the cost of home contents insurance but have you ever considered how you would manage financially if you had to replace your household belongings in the event of an accident or disaster? PHP insures the building you live in but NOT your personal belongings.

There are many insurance companies who cover for events like the ones mentioned above, and many allow you to pay the premium in instalments over twelve months.

You can find a list of insurance companies in the Yellow Pages or a local telephone directory.

My Home contents image.jpg

My home contents insurance 

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme brings you peace of mind knowing that if the worst was to happen you would be able to replace your belongings and personal possessions.

Not only will the policy cover your home contents against the risk of Fire, Flood, Theft, Water and Storm damage but it will also protect you against those events that as a tenant you may be legally responsible for, such as damage to external glazing and damage to your landlord’s fixtures and fittings.

Some of the benefits of the My Home Scheme are:

  • Flexible regular pay-as-you-go payment options
  • No fuss, quick and easy to apply
  • No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
  • No administration or cancellation fees

Optional extended accidental damage cover, personal possessions (items away from the home), wheelchairs, mobility scooters, hearing aids cover and structure cover for huts, garages and greenhouses can be included for an additional premium.

To find out more or to apply for cover please call 0345 450 7288 or email myhome@thistleinsurance.co.uk

Alternatively, visit the My Home Contents Insurance website for more information.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply. A full policy wording is available on request. 

The National Housing Federation My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a product name arranged and administered on behalf of the National Housing Federation by Thistle Tenant Risks a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington's Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW.  The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Limited.

Claims against Poole Housing Partnership (PHP)

You may make insurance claims against the Council or PHP for any damage that the Council or PHP causes to your possessions, or injury to you or members of your family providing that the Council or PHP have been negligent.

However, there are a variety of other issues for which we may not be negligent. For example, if there is a particularly bad storm which lifts a tile off a roof and as a result water comes through the roof, through the ceiling and damages a bedroom carpet, we would claim that we had not been negligent as it could not have prevented that from happening.

Under such circumstances we would seek to reject any such claim. If a contractor were to hammer a nail into the wall and inadvertently burst a pipe which resulted in the floor being flooded and ruining the tenant's carpet, the contractor would be responsible for the cost of replacing the carpet as clearly their action has been negligent.

If you are unsure about whether or not you could make a claim against the Council/PHP, please write to us: 

Poole Housing Partnership
Beech House
28–30 Wimborne Road
BH15 2BU

Go to...