If you have a garden and you’re struggling to maintain it and don’t have anyone who can help you, and you’re on benefits and unable to cope due to ill health, you may be able to get assistance from the Roots Garden Maintenance Scheme.
PHP makes an annual contribution to local charity Help and Care so residents can get help with their gardens if they are struggling.
Help and Care Volunteers attend up to three times to help bring your garden back into a manageable condition and there is no charge for this service.
You can apply if you meet all the following criteria:
- You are unable to carry out work in garden due to medical reasons
- You do not have any friends or family to support you
- You are in receipt of the housing element of Universal Credit or similar
- Your garden is in a condition that will benefit from 2 visits per year
You will not be eligible if:
- You are under occupying
- You are in breach of tenancy
- Your garden in too poor a state to benefit from the scheme
For more information about this service, you can contact your housing officer, at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 652 3900.
If you are not sure you meet all the criteria but are worried about the condition of your garden, you can speak to your housing officer to discuss.